Rising energy costs coupled with rising inflation is delivering many families the ultimatum of having to choose between heating their home, paying their rent or feeding their children. At Performa IT we are committed to ensuring we help everybody reduce their energy bills so they never have to make the choice between heating and other essentials; reducing your energy usage is crucial throughout the year so that you can afford to heat your home in those harsh winter months.
There are a plethora of ways in which we can all be mindful of energy usage, especially now that many of us are working from home. The other major benefit of reducing our energy usage is that we also reduce our carbon footprint; another focal concern for Performa IT is the environment. We have recently joined the SME Climate Hub and have committed to being Net Zero by 2030; in order to achieve this we’ve been helping our team consider what practices they can follow to be more environmentally conscious when working from home. Here’s our top tips:
Our 6 top tips for saving energy:
1. Opening the blinds is a great way of staying healthy as your body reaps the benefits of vitamin D and your eyes won’t be strained by the dark. It is also a great way to reduce your use of lighting and heating during the day; you won’t need to turn on any overhead lamps or desk lamps and the room will naturally heat up faster, keeping you comfortable and reducing how often the heating kicks in during the day.
2. Using a smart power strip is a great way of managing all the electronic devices you’ll likely be using. Smart power strips make sure your devices don’t drain power when you are away from work. While still providing the option of keeping a few devices on at all times. These can be found on sites such as Amazon for less than £30.
3. A blanket on your lap will ensure that you’re comfortable without having to turn on the heating. By using an extra layer during the colder months can save significant energy and is perfect if your home office is typically colder than the rest of the house.
4. Fitting energy saving light bulbs to your home can help reduce your energy usage by a quarter. This is a brilliant idea as it can reduce your energy bills by as much as £49 per annum.
5. Turning off standby can save you up to £30 per year so please don’t forget to turn devices off at the wall when they’re not in use such as printers and chargers; unplugging your phone once it’s fully charged is another great way to save energy.
6. Installing a smart thermostat is a great way of becoming more energy efficient as you can control when and for how long to heat your home. Some such as the Google Learning Thermostat can even monitor how you use your home. It will then generate a bespoke heating plan to only heat the rooms you are using frequently. Better still, systems such as the Bosch Easy Control allow you to control your heating and boiler for individual rooms. By doing so you can have the home office comfortably heated while the heating remains off in the rest of your home, making big savings on your fuel bills.
We believe that by following our 6 simple steps you can become more energy efficient while working from home. Hopefully helping to reduce your carbon footprint – something we value highly here at Performa IT. Ensuring that our world continues to thrive long beyond our time here!
1 – Source = https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-news/2020/how-to-save-energy-when-working-from-home
2 – Source = https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-news/2020/how-to-save-energy-when-working-from-home